There has been a lot of talk in the last few months about "going green" and reducing your carbon footprint. Nearly every product is saying they are environmentally friendly in some fashion or another. Of all the things you can do to "go green" and reduce your carbon footprint, none is more effective than using public transportation.
Did you know that:
- Home weatherizing and adjusting the thermostat and cooling saves 2,847 pounds of carbon per year. Public transportation use by just one person saves almost twice that much.
- Replacing five incandescent bulbs to lower wattage compact fluorescent lamps saves 445 pounds of CO2 per year. Public transportation use by just one person saves more than 10 times that amount.
- Replacing an older refrigerator/freezer with a high efficient one save 335 pounds of CO2 per year. Public transportation use by just one person saves more than 14 times that amount.
- Public transportation is estimated to reduce CO2 emissions by 37 million metric tons annually.
- Public transportation use by a solo commuter switching his or her commute from a private vehicle can reduce CO2 emissions by 20 pounds a day - more than 4,800 pounds in a year.
- Public transportation use save the U.S. the equivalent of 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually - more than 11 million gallons of gasoline per day.
- Public transportation provides an affordable alternative to driving. Households that use public transportation save an average of $6,251 every year.
Source: American Public Transportation Association
So if you really are concerned about the environment, and want to help make a difference, take public transportation. It is easy, affordable, and fun!
Click below for a humorous video about using public transportation.